Errors 0x800ccc0d and 0x800ccc0e ("Can't Find Host - Cannot Locate Server" and "Failed To Connect - Cannot Connect To Server")
You may receive one of the following error messages:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pophost.123-reg.co.uk', Server: 'pophost.123-reg.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
The host 'pophost.123-reg.co.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered server name correctly. Account:'yourname', Server 'pophost.123-reg.co.uk; protocol: POP3, Port:110'Secure(SSL):No, Socket Error:11001,Error Number 0x800CCC0D.
If you have not changed anything since the last time you checked or sent mail, do not adjust your settings. Simply close Outlook Express, reopen it and try again later.
Then test your connection by following this procedure:
- Click the Start button, then go to Run, and type in cmd (Windows NT/2000/XP) or Command (Windows 95/98/ME). This will open a new command prompt window, with white text on a black screen.
- Type in the following exactly as it appears. You will not see what you are entering so take it slowly, and if you make a mistake, start again:
- telnet pop.123-reg.co.uk 110
- Click the Enter key on your keyboard. You will then be connected to the email server.
- Type in USER followed by your email address, e.g. USER email@example.com, and then click the Enter key. You will then get a message +OK.
- Type in PASS followed by your password, e.g. PASS password, and click the Enter key. If it is correct, you will get an OK Well Done message. If you can do this, you have connected to the 123-reg.co.uk server and so the problem is with Outlook Express.
If you cannot connect to the server, your password may be corrupted. Please change it and try again.