This answer only applies to .uk domain names. It will explain what a registrant type is, and list the different registrant types.
The registrant type describes the entity responsible for registering the domain name, e.g. a company or an individual. It will only affect domain names issued by Nominet. These are :
The types of registrant available are:
- UK Limited Company
- UK Public Limited Company
- UK Partnership
- UK Sole trader
- UK Limited Liability Partnership
- UK Individual (for personal registrations only)
- UK Registered Charity
- UK Entity that does not fit into any of the above categories (i.e. charities, school/educational establishments, clubs & associations)
- Non-UK Individual (for personal registrations only)
- Non-UK Corporation
- Non-UK Entity that does not fit into any of the above categories (i.e. charities, school/educational establishments, clubs & associations)
When you register a domain name as a company you will be asked to enter your registered company number.
Please Note: The registrant type does not need to be specified for other TLDs such as .com, .net or .info.