How do I access a domain registered to a school or a charity?

This article relates to domain ownership.

This article will explain how you can access a domain registered to a school or charity.

The first step that you will need to take is to open a 123-reg account for the domain name to be moved into. You can do this, free of charge, here:


The identity of your charity will need to be confirmed, as well as proof of your role as a trustee of the charity. To do this the name and and address of the charity must be shown on the Whois as the registrant of the domain name, before the domain name can be moved into your account. Both need to be confirmed to ensure that only the trustees of the charity can gain access.

As proof of identity for a domain name registered to a charity, the following items are required:

  • Proof of Identity from a trustee (Passport/Drivers license)
  • Proof of appointment as a trustee (Letter from the Charity Commission)
  • Proof of address of the charity (Standard bank statement or Utility Bill)

The above documentation will need to be provided, either by Fax or Email, alongside a request for the domain name transfer.

It is advised to use the 123-reg template for this request, which is available on the 123-reg support site here.

This template asks for all of the information that will be required, and will help to ensure that your request can be processed as quickly as possible.

Please forward the documentation and transfer request to one of the following:

Fax: 0870 912 6612



Answer options

Your feedback was successfully added.

Answer tracking


Watch the content of this article for changes.