So you’ve started selling online and you want to maximise your sales. Here are 6 tips that could help:
- Use clear descriptions and good pictures. If you sell a physical product, it’s important people can see exactly what they’re getting. Describe the product in detail and include clear, well-lit photos – with large versions if possible. If you sell complex items, like electronic equipment, make sure you include the full specification too.
- Get the fulfilment right. Once someone’s placed an order, make sure you ship the item in good time and keep the customer informed of what’s going on. Delivering an item quickly is an easy way to impress customers and encourage them to purchase from your site again.
- Be comprehensive. Make sure you include information about shipping, extra charges, order changes and cancellations, returns and more. Think about what might stop a customer buying from you, and address those things in your FAQs or help content.
- Make it easy for people to contact you. Give your online business a presence in the real world by publishing an address on your site where people can contact you. Supply a phone number and email as well, and try to answer queries in good time.
- Don’t make payment difficult. Accept as many different forms of payment as you can, and make sure all online transactions are handled securely. Customers are more likely to buy if they can pay using their preferred method rather than the one which best suits you. Our ecommerce package lets you accept lots of payment methods, including credit and debit cards, PayPal and Google Checkout – in up to 9 currencies.
- Keep an eye on your statistics. A web analytics package like Google Analytics can help you see how visitors are using your site. Look out for pages where people seem to drop out of the order process, or leave your site altogether. Why is this happening? Try making some changes and see if the figures improve.
What’s worked for your online shop? Leave a comment and let us know.
Previous top 6 lists: