A domain name can last a lifetime
Once you’ve got the domain name you want, you probably won’t want to let it go. And holding on to it’s even more important if you’re running a website or business – or simply rely on it for your email.
Our domain name – 123-reg.co.uk – is 11 years old at the end of May. That’s nothing in the scheme of things, but it did get us thinking about the different ways you could use a domain name during your lifetime. Buy it at the start, and it’ll last till the end…
- At birth, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to buy a domain for yourself. But assuming someone does manage to register it for you, they’ll be able to embarrass you by putting baby photos online, writing a blog of your progress – and setting up an email address for good wishes.
- By the time you get to your teens, you’ll probably enter a rebellious stage. A website is the perfect way to express yourself. Get creative, or set up a private messageboard to keep in touch with your mates, away from prying eyes. After all, don’t teenagers understand the internet better than most adults?
- At university, you’ll discover a whole range of new interests. Maybe you’ll be setting up a website for a club or society, or trying to impress potential employers with an online portfolio or project. You certainly won’t struggle for ways to use your domain name.
- In your 20s and 30s? Isn’t that marriage and kids time? Replace wedding invites with a website. Include your seating plan, gift list and show people who else is coming. Or document every moment of your pregnancy and birth. (Ok, not every moment.)
- Kids growing up, more time on your hands? Spare evenings are a great time to pursue a hobby or passion online. Maybe you could start a website – or even an online business. Plenty of ‘five to niners’ make money by running an online company outside of normal office hours.
- If you’ve hit retirement, you may be what they call a ‘silver surfer’. That’s surely another good excuse to spend more time online.
At 123-reg ,we do believe a domain name can last an entire lifetime. Like your mobile phone number, once you have one you like, you won’t want to change it. So don’t! Register a domain, and you’ll be able to keep it for as long as you need it.