As some of you have noticed, we had some problems with our DNS servers on 123-reg over the weekend. Between Friday evening and Sunday morning, some customers had difficulties with their domains.
This meant that some websites couldn’t be accessed via their domain name. If you were one of the people affected, we’re sorry.
The problem was caused by a combination of events: a piece of hardware failed while our DNS services were under excessive load. We replaced the defective hardware over the weekend and all our systems are working properly now.
To reduce the chance of a similar problem occurring in the future, we’re taking a hard look at exactly what went wrong, and why.
We’re also looking into how we can best communicate information about a problem to everyone who’s affected. If you are one of those people, you want to know what’s going on and when you can expect it to be fixed.
On this occasion, we did post updates on the 123-reg and Pipex systems status pages, but it seems some people had trouble accessing these as well. We’re looking at ways to stop this happening in the future, as well as other channels we can use to get the message out (this blog being an obvious one!).
Thanks for understanding that these things do happen occasionally. If you could see into our office this morning you’d understand that we really do take this stuff seriously – we’re doing everything we can to stop it happening again.