About .com Domains
This article will explain the features and registration requirements of .com domains.
As one of the original top-level domains (TLDs), .com has become the most popular TLD on the internet, with more than 160 million domains registered in total. Short for ‘commercial’, this extension offers a short and simple destination that is widely understood by the majority of web users.
If you’re thinking of registering or transferring a .com domain with 123 Reg, be sure to check the main features and requirements that must be followed below.
Who can register .com domains?
Anyone can register a .com domain, regardless of their nationality or business, thanks to the international nature of this extension. The governing registry for .com domains is VeriSign.
There are some restrictions that you’ll need to follow when registering a .com domain, which are as follows:
- Length: 3-63 characters.
- Permitted Characters: letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and hyphens.*
- Unaccepted Characters: special characters (, & # or !).
- Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs): not supported.
*You cannot use a hyphen for the 3rd or 4th character of your domain name.
- Registration Length: 1-10 years.
- Renewal Length: 1-10 years.
- We will attempt to auto-renew your domain prior to its expiration date. If this fails, your domain will be parked 5 days after the expiry date. We will re-attempt auto-renewal on this day, and again at 10 and 15 days. If your domain hasn’t been renewed 15 days after the expiration date, please contact our Support team.
- Transfers to 123 Reg:
- For details on how to do this, please read the following article: Transferring a Top-Level Domain Name to 123 Reg
- Transfers away from 123 Reg:
- For details on how to do this, please read the following article: Transferring a Top-Level Domain away from 123 Reg
- Transfers to another 123 Reg account:
- For details on how to do this, please read the following article: Moving domains between 123 Reg accounts
- Privacy Protection:
- Contact Updates:
- For details on how to do this, please read the following article: How do I modify the contact information for my domain name?
- Must use: 1-4 nameservers, defined in your account.
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6, DNSSEC.
For information about our refund policy, please visit our Domain Refunds policy page.
For assistance with cancelling your .com domain, please contact our Support team.